Sagewood Country
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sagewood Country

Welcome to Sagewood Country! Crafts, Gardens, Challenges and much more. Come visit and say HI!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The bushes have earned their keep

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LeaShi

LeaShi

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-04-08

The bushes have earned their keep Empty
PostSubject: The bushes have earned their keep   The bushes have earned their keep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:09 am

Remember how I kept saying that I hated the bushes in front of my house? I had every intention of ripping them out if they didn't impress me by spring. Well, this week they earned their keep. They burst into a beautiful cluster of pink blooms. Check it out:

The bushes have earned their keep DSCF3085

Upon inspecting them I found that they are, in fact, a kind of azalea bush. I thought the leaves looked familiar, but I was not used to seeing azalea leaves change color in the fall, so this threw me off. Anyway, I've decided I won't be ripping the bushes out after all (which is good, because I simply don't have the energy for that right now). I will, however, be pruning them into a neater shape because they are pretty wild looking right now. So, anybody got any tips on pruning azaleas?
Back to top Go down
http://www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Sage
Admin

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: The bushes have earned their keep   The bushes have earned their keep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 9:05 am

HOW PRETTY!!!!
They do look like azaleas for sure..but I have no clue as to how to trim them. I would suppose it's best to do it before they bloom or after. Maybe come this fall you could do it. That's when I'd do it..or early spring. See if you can find some place on the net that suggests when..or even do a search on the Farmers Almanac, they may have something listed there.
Back to top Go down
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Lightfoot
Admin
Lightfoot

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: The bushes have earned their keep   The bushes have earned their keep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:00 pm

Actually, I know this one!!! You prune them as soon as all the blooms fall off. Cut them waaaay back if you want. Chase cut the ones under my window down to practically nubs one year. I figured they were ruined. They were just sticks sticking up. Next year they came back beautiful. Looks like I need to be getting my own done soon.

Or you can try to shape them. I've seen it done, they look stupid. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MandaMae

MandaMae

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: The bushes have earned their keep   The bushes have earned their keep Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 10:29 am

Yeah I've heard tell of azaleas up here... I may have to come steal those Lea. I need something from home up here and my grammy always had a yard full of azaleas. Smile

We have all our flowers and fertilizer and blah blah blah just waiting for the weekend to be nice so I can plant. And hopefully I'll have the energy this weekend. Last weekend was disaster zone house.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mistressangel1983
LeaShi

LeaShi

Number of posts : 485

PostSubject: Re: The bushes have earned their keep   The bushes have earned their keep Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 10:42 am

I know what you mean about needing something from home. I recently bought two yellow jessamine plants (a hybrid called mergeruite that can survive the cold) to put out in the back yard. I can't wait to smell that heavenly smell they have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The bushes have earned their keep   The bushes have earned their keep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The bushes have earned their keep
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sagewood Country :: Hearth and Home :: The Back 40 :: The Garden Gate-
Jump to: