Sagewood Country
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sagewood Country

Welcome to Sagewood Country! Crafts, Gardens, Challenges and much more. Come visit and say HI!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LeaShi

LeaShi

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!) Empty
PostSubject: Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!)   Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:04 am

Mee Goreng is one of the better known dishes of Singapore. Goreng means "fried" and mee means "noodle"—in this case thin yellow egg noodles. Vermicelli makes a fine substitute if you can't find the real deal. At Singapore's Banana Leaf, the spicy noodles are topped with your choice of tofu, chicken, or the most requested—Indo style—a fried egg.

Serves 4
Ingredients:
2 small russet potatoes; salt and pepper; 3/4 pound thin yellow egg noodles; 6 tbs. vegetable oil; 1 large onion, chopped; 4 garlic cloves, minced; 1 tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger; 2 large eggs, beaten; 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric; 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika; 1/4 cup dark soy sauce; 1 cup fresh bean sprouts; 4 green onions, white and green parts, sliced, plus more for garnish; 4 fried eggs (optional); crispy fried shallots for garnish; 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving

Directions: Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil, uncovered. Simmer until there is no resistance when a fork is inserted into the potatoes, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander. While they are still hot, carefully peel off the skins with a paring knife; use a kitchen towel to hold them. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the noodles until just tender but still firm to the bite (al dente), about 7 minutes. Take care not to overcook. Rinse under running cool water and drain well. Set aside.

Place a wok or large skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil gets hazy, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook and stir until the vegetables are tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes to combine and heat through.
Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and pour the eggs into the center. Scramble the eggs lightly until set, breaking them up into pieces with a spatula. Incorporate the vegetables into the eggs; season with the tumeric, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.

Add the drained noodles to the wok, stirring and tossing quickly to separate the strands. Pour in the soy sauce, tossing well to coat the noodles and keep them from sticking (drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, if necessary). Add the bean sprouts and green onions; cook and stir until softened slightly, about 5 minutes.

Divide the noodles among 4 plates, top with a fried egg, if using, and garnish with sliced green onion and fried shallots. Serve with lime wedges.

My changes: I used a 6 oz pack of Wel-Pac Chow Mein Stir-Fry Noodles. I eliminate the potatoes. I add diced chicken breasts in with the onion, garlic and ginger when cooking. I substitute 1/8 tsp. of ground ginger for the fresh ginger. I don't know what the difference between paprika and sweet paprika is, so I just use regular paprika. I use canned bean sprouts. I omit the garnishes and lime wedges. I do not top with a fried egg.

**This dish says it serves 4, but it makes A LOT of food. You could easily divide it into 6 portions, and even possibly 8 if you're serving other food (like egg rolls or something) as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Lightfoot
Admin
Lightfoot

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!)   Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 6:55 am

You'll have to make these for me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Mee Goreng (Deliciousness on a plate!)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sagewood Country :: Hearth and Home :: The Sagewood Kitchen-
Jump to: