Sagewood Country
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sagewood Country

Welcome to Sagewood Country! Crafts, Gardens, Challenges and much more. Come visit and say HI!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tomato Buckets

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MandaMae

MandaMae

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Tomato Buckets Empty
PostSubject: Tomato Buckets   Tomato Buckets Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 4:48 am

I'm sure we've all heard of growing tomatos out of the hole in the bottom of a hanging bucket. My FIL and I were talking since I am planning to do one or two myself since I don't really have "garden" room in my tiny yard....

He mentioned that you can put additional holes in the side of your tomato bucket and plant squash and cucumbers there to use the bucket to it's full "potential".

I know we're a bunch of waste not want nots here so thought I'd share the idea, though you ladies probably already knew..... I'm always behind on the times LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mistressangel1983
Sage
Admin

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Tomato Buckets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Buckets   Tomato Buckets Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 7:41 pm

Well..that I did not know..about adding the extra stuff..whatyaknow, learn something new every day!!
YOU go girl!
Back to top Go down
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
K8 McCridhe

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Tomato Buckets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Buckets   Tomato Buckets Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 11:08 pm

The only thing I can ad is make sure you have at least 6 hours of sunlight so that your tomatoes and other goodies will ripen... and remember to water frequently.

One thing about the upside down, or even elevated so the vines droop down: less strain on the stems, less spoilage from the vegies resting on the ground, and being out of reach of the turtles - who definitely like to snack on 'maters. Wouldn't mind it if they'd eat the whole tomato, rather than just taking one bite out of any tomato that they pass! Suspect

Check on the soil requirements. Tomatoes are rather hungry, and I seem to recall squash are, too. Using a 5 gal. bucket?
Back to top Go down
MandaMae

MandaMae

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Tomato Buckets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Buckets   Tomato Buckets Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 5:40 am

Yeppers Kate a 5 Gallon bucket. I'm just doing cucumbers in mine along with tomatos.... I like squash but I'm not over doing it this year.. just going to give it a good show. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mistressangel1983
Sponsored content

Tomato Buckets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato Buckets   Tomato Buckets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tomato Buckets
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sagewood Country :: Hearth and Home :: The Back 40 :: The Garden Gate-
Jump to: