Sagewood Country
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sagewood Country

Welcome to Sagewood Country! Crafts, Gardens, Challenges and much more. Come visit and say HI!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dill: Worth Growing?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LeaShi

LeaShi

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Dill: Worth Growing? Empty
PostSubject: Dill: Worth Growing?   Dill: Worth Growing? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:00 pm

So I wanted to plant a veggie and herb garden again this year, and my trusty seed company is offering an herb collection that has chives, basil, coriander, and dill. Now I know I'll use the other three no problem, but I was not sure what I could use dill for. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Lightfoot
Admin
Lightfoot

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Dill: Worth Growing?   Dill: Worth Growing? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:03 am

I use dill to make a salad dressing: 1/2 and 1/2 mayo and sour cream, add some garlic powder and dill. Yumm. I've used it in a few other things too, like sprinkled of fish.
Back to top Go down
K8 McCridhe

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dill: Worth Growing?   Dill: Worth Growing? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:43 am

Dill's great, especially for fish & poultry dishes.
Toss 'em in just like you would basil and parsley and other herbs.
And salads of course.

They're also something of an attractant for a particular kind of butterfly (as is fennel).
I just can't remember whether it's the monarch butterfly larve that eat on dill and fennel voraciously or the swallow tail butterfly. Anyrate, the caterpillars are white, black and yellow/green striped. You'll have a heck of a time with them.

Note... dill is self propagating, as is fennel, and you will need to keep ahead of the flowers.

Note: You can take dill seed and fennel seed right from your herb cupboard and plant them, and they will grow.

Just don't plant them together.
They're very, very close cousins, and will cross pollinate.
And it's very hard to tell the difference between them by sight.
Smell, however...
Dill will smell like dill pickles.
Fennel will smell lice licorice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dill: Worth Growing?   Dill: Worth Growing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dill: Worth Growing?
Page 1 of 1