Sagewood Country
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sagewood Country

Welcome to Sagewood Country! Crafts, Gardens, Challenges and much more. Come visit and say HI!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Before Your Next Yard Sale

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lightfoot
Admin
Lightfoot

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Before Your Next Yard Sale Empty
PostSubject: Before Your Next Yard Sale   Before Your Next Yard Sale Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 8:20 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,552021,00.html?test=faces

New Government Policy Imposes Strict Standards on Garage Sales Nationwide

Americans who slap $1 pricetags on their used possessions at garage sales or bazaar events risk being slapped with fines of up to $15 million, thanks to a new government campaign.

The "Resale Round-up," launched by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, enforces new limits on lead in children's products and makes it illegal to sell any items that don't meet those limits or have been recalled for any other reason.

The strict standards were set in the 2008 Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act after a series of high-profile recalls of Chinese-made toys.

The standards were originally interpreted to apply only to new products, but now the CPSC says they apply to used items as well.

"Those who resell recalled children's products are not only breaking the law, they are putting children's lives at risk,” said CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. "Resale stores should make safety their business and check for recalled products and hazards to children."

In order to comply, stores, flea markets, charities and individuals selling used goods — in person or online — are expected to consult the commission's 24-page Handbook for Resale Stores and Product Resellers (pdf) and its Web site for a breakdown of what they can't sell.

Violators caught selling anything on the enormous list face fines of up to $100,000 per infraction and up to $15 million for a related series of infractions.
Back to top Go down
Sage
Admin

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Before Your Next Yard Sale   Before Your Next Yard Sale Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 5:35 pm

OH jeees..I heard about this.

It's a big 'deal' for crafters, not because they use 'foriegn' products, but now the crafters that make children oriented crafts have to be inspected or some such shit. They were way up in arms about it. I don't know all the details....but..well..I don't have much 'child' stuff that sells anyway...but ..jeees
Back to top Go down
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
LeaShi

LeaShi

Number of posts : 485

PostSubject: Re: Before Your Next Yard Sale   Before Your Next Yard Sale Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Ya know, I think this is a perfect example of people not taking the blame for their own mistakes. Frankly, you should be inspecting the stuff you give your children and not just assuming because you got it from the nice old lady down the street's yardsale that it's safe to use. Seriously, whatever happened to caveat emptor? How about you get what you pay for? Sure that carseat might be a steal at 5 bucks, but you don't know what it's been through. I can see fining resale stores for not being more careful, but charging individuals $100K for selling something they didn't know was defective? That's a little bit ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
http://www.AshleysCrescentMoon.etsy.com
Sage
Admin

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: Before Your Next Yard Sale   Before Your Next Yard Sale Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:38 am

I agree Leashi!

I did some looking at the site listed above..about 'recalls'..and MANY MANY of the recalls were due to lack of parental supervision..buying for the wrong age..AND lack of parents paying damned attention and leaving their child unattended for far too long. Just simply pure lack of common sense if you ask me!......it's nuts.
Back to top Go down
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Before Your Next Yard Sale   Before Your Next Yard Sale Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Before Your Next Yard Sale
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sagewood Country :: The Market Square :: The Newspaper Stand-
Jump to: